CO ED RULES
NOTE: Co-ed softball is also subject to our Standard League Rules (such as no collisions, no metal spikes, no fighting, etc.) Where the rules may differ, the co-ed rules take priority.1. The league will consist of 5 guys and 5 girls. The batting order alternates between boy and girl. If there are more guys than girls playing at any time, there will be an out given. Examples:
5 guys, 4 girls---1 out where the girl would bat
6 guys, 5 girls---1 out where the girl would bat
The point is that you can never bat 2 guys in a row without an out between them.
You cannot play 6 guys and 4 girls ever!!! You can start a game with 4 guys and 4 girls, and an out will be administered until the batting order is full to ten.
You can bat more then 10 but the order must continue to still be boy/girl, therefore 11 and 12 must be boy/girl. If you bat 11 and it is a male, and out will be given to ensure that 2 males do not bat back to back without an out given. If the 11th is a girl, no out will be given.
Whenever the game starts with 9 players, no matter if it is 5 guys and 4 girls or 5 girls and 4 guys, then there will be an out given in the tenth batting spot. If the game starts with 5 girls and 4 guys and a girl arrives to play, she can be inserted at the bottom of the lineup and an out will no longer be given in that spot (you may play with 6 girls and 4 guys). If the game starts with 5 guys and 4 girls and a guy arrives, he may not be inserted into the lineup until a girl arrives, in which case an out will still be given because you still have more guys than girls.
2. THERE IS NO GRACE PERIOD. Start short or forfeit.
3. $17 a game for umpires. The umps are professionals and should be treated with respect. In return you will be given respect. The manager is the only person that can argue with an umpire.
4. If a player is ejected, then that player will be suspended from all Amherst Softball games for 1 week. They will miss the remainder of that day’s game and the following week’s games. Meaning, if a player is ejected on a Sunday then they cannot play until the second following Monday (8 days later).
5. ALL BATTERS start with a 1 and 1 count. PLATE IS NOT A STRIKE!!! It is a hitter’s game and we do not want people going to the plate and looking for walks. This will help speed the game up and not delay other games.
6. 6-12 foot arc for the pitch, remember it is still to the opinion of the ump to make the call, SO BE READY TO HIT!!!
7. Fielding positions- There must be at least one girl in the outfield. Girls can play anywhere they want. Just a fair warning, for safety sake, a girl pitcher and girl catcher, be careful for plays at home plate (guys - remember our rule on collissions. If you run into a girl, you're OUT, and possibly ejected from the game). There is no rules for girls amounts of girls in the infield.
8. If a male is walked he automatically goes to second base, then the next female has the CHOICE to walk or hit.
9. Do not leave the base until there is contact from the bat and ball. If you do so you ARE OUT!
10. Age limit is 18 years old. Every player must have their own health insurance. That is why everyone must sign the waiver sheets.
11. There is a pitch runner limit of 5 per game. The player that was the last out will be the assigned runner. If a girl needs a runner, then the last girl to get out will be the runner, and the same for guys.
12. NO METAL SPIKES. The first time the spikes are taken off and game is resumed, and if it happens a second time, the play will be suspending for 1 week. The third time is kicked out of Amherst softball.
13. THERE IS NO DRINKING during the game - at or on the field, or in the dugouts.
14. There is a 2 home run (over the fence) limit per inning rule. After the 2 home runs are hit in an inning, it is an out
15. There is a mercy limit: 12 runs after 5 innings.
16. Every field has their own ground rules and may be different, go over them with the ump at ground rules.
17. Illegal Bats- All bats on the illegal bat list are on the Amherst Softball website and also given to the managers before the season started. Keep the illegal bat list with you at all games, to prove if the bat is legal or illegal. If you believe a team is using an illegal bat, find it on the list and show the umpire. It is your responsibility to have the list and show the bat on it. The ump will be the judge of if the bat is legal or not, after looking at the list. If illegal, the player will be called out. If not an illegal bat, it can be used. If that bat is used again, the player using it will be ejected from the game and suspended for 1 week. If a bat is found to be illegal, please report this to Frank Sykes and/or your league Director It is the manager’s responsibility to make sure all players know the rules and illegal bats. If the list changes you will be informed of the NEW bats on list. *** Shaved or “doctored” bats are also ILLEGAL. DON’T USE them. ***
18. Protests- Any protests should be handled on the spot! The exact situation, inning, batting count, and reason for the protest should all be written down and signed by the umpire. The game will continue and played until the end. If the protesting team wins the game, the protest is over. If the protesting team loses the game, then Frank Sykes and the league Director will discuss the protest and make a decision. Remember: You can only protests call involving rule interpretation, NOT JUDGEMENT CALLS. Have your league rules with you at all games, so rule problems can be solved at the field and protests do not have to happen.
19. PLAYER ROSTERS- Anyone that plays in Amherst Softball should be on the team’s roster. For playoffs, a player should have played at least 5 games with the team. If problems come up please contact your league director.
20. Two forfeits will result in the team being dropped from the league.
21. Teams are responsible for their fans.
22. The HOME team is responsible for official scorebook.
23. Each team is responsible to give 1 game ball per game.
24. If for some reason there is NO UMP, then both captains will decide on an ump to call the game.
25. For rain outs you will receive an e mail or text from Jim Judge or Frank Sykes. We also have an automated text message service available for rainout information. See www.amherstsoftball.com for more information.
26. Any questions about anything Please call Jim Judge 983-4232 or Frank Sykes 860-7363.